Business Account FAQs


What type of businesses does CUR support?

We currently support Sole Proprietorships, Associations, Corporations, C Corporations, S Corporations, General Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs), Limited Partnerships, Non-Profit Organizations, Non-Profit Corporations, and Partnerships. 

How do I open a business account?

To learn how to open a Business Account, please see our Document Checklist.

Can I open a business account online?

No, all applications must be completed in person at any of our branch locations by appointment only. Appointments are available Monday-Friday from 9:00 AM-4:00 PM.

Do I need an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

Yes, unless you are a Sole Proprietor who can use a SSN. For more information, please visit the following link:

How much do I have to deposit to establish a new business membership?

There is a $5.00 share required in the main business savings account (Spire Business Shares or Organizational Shares) to establish a new business membership.

Can I open a business account for an out-of-state business?

No, we do not support out-of-state businesses.

Can I open multiple business accounts using the same information to separate activity?

You may only open one account per business. If you would like to open a second business account, you must open a separate sub-share account and you will be given an entirely new member number. However, you may only have one checking account for your business.

Can I open an account for fundraising or a personal event that occurred (ex: death fundraiser)

No, we do not support fundraiser accounts at this time; however, we can support fundraising efforts through an account established for an organization, association, or non-profit.

Do you support new Estate Accounts and Trust Accounts?

No, we do not currently support these types of accounts.

Does CUR support medicinal/recreational dispensary business accounts?

No, CUR does not allow business accounts that are related in any way to the manufacture, distribution, or sale of medicinal or recreational marijuana or of any products containing medicinal or recreational marijuana extracts.

Are there any fees associated with a business account?

Yes, all business accounts are subject to a $5.00 monthly service charge. There are no other fees specific to business accounts at this time.


What products and services are available for business accounts?

We have Checking Accounts, Savings Accounts, Money Market Accounts, and Certificates of Deposit available to all our business account holders.

Do I get a debit/credit card for my account?

You will receive a debit card for your Business Account.

Do I get free checks with my business account?

No, you will not receive free checks for your Business Account.

Does CUR offer merchant services for businesses?

No, we do not currently offer merchant services for businesses.

Does CUR perform payroll services for businesses?

No, we do not currently perform payroll services for businesses. However, business owners can use our free online Bill Pay service to accommodate their payroll needs. Additionally, we do support services such as ADP, Gusto, or other payroll services, which would work via ACH.

Do you have a night drop location for bagged deposits?

We have night drop available at our Frisco branch location. All other branches do not currently have this option.

Can I do change/coin orders at CUR?

Change orders can be accommodated in full box amounts (i.e. $1,000 in quarters, $200 in nickels, $50 in pennies, etc.), but no less. Change order requests may be subject to an additional fee.

Do you have a coin machine at your branches?

We have a coin machine available at our Frisco and Golden branch locations. 


How do I apply for a business/commercial loan?

We currently only have commercial lending options available through our lending partner, Centennial Lending. For more information on Centennial Lending’s commercial loan solutions, visit their website:

Can I have an overdraft loan on my business account?

The only overdraft protection that is currently available on business accounts is a savings transfer option. Overdraft loans are not available for new business accounts or for existing business accounts that don’t already have an overdraft loan.


Can I have a beneficiary on my business account?

No, beneficiaries are not allowable on business accounts.

What if I want to add an authorized signer?

Authorized signers can be added to business accounts at any time. The owner(s) of the business would have to initiate such a request with our in-branch personnel by appointment only.

Authorized Signers are permitted only to transact on an account and receive information about an account (i.e. balances, transaction histories, etc.). They are not permitted to make any modifications to the account.

Is my money insured by NCUA separately with a business account versus my personal account?

Yes, funds deposited by a business are insured separately from the personal accounts of its owners and/or signers, up to a maximum of $250,000. There is no way that a business account can qualify for additional insurance coverage. Additional information can be found by visiting the links below:

What if my business changes from one type (ex: LLC) to another (ex: SCORP)

If your business type changes, we will establish a new membership using all of the required documentation and would close the previous membership.

What if I sell my business?

The buyer of the business would need to close the existing account and establish a new membership in which they are identified as the business’s beneficial owner(s). We would not permit the existing account to be modified as would be required for a change in business ownership.